Friday, September 26, 2008

Finding the right horse



The perfect horse.  Do they really exist?  All horses have some type of issues.  It's just a matter of finding the issues that you don't really mind.

I like to see a horse and rider combo that fits, not just any old combination.   Many times when buying a horse emotions get in the way and a rider falls in love with the wrong horse.  Horses are a major investment of time, energy, and money.  That is why it is so important to have the perfect fit.

There are no perfect horses, but there are horses that perfectly fit their rider.  

The right horse isn't going to just fall in your lap.  You are going to have to go out there and do some searching. Unless of course you have a trainer with the right connections and an understanding of what you need.  If you have a trainer that is really good at his or her job, they should know what you need even more than you do.

How can you tell if a horse is right for you?

This is a question that you need to ask yourself and be completely honest in your answer.   Each rider has different needs, wants and abilities so here are some basic questions to think about:

  • Is my horse too old or too young for me?  No beginner should have a horse under six years of age.
  • Is my horse too tall or too short?  Personally I like a small horse.  I want to have my leg be very effective.  Plus I don't like to work too hard to mount the horse ;)
  • Is my horse suitable to my style of riding?  I wouldn't take a thoroughbred into a Western Pleasure class and expect to do well!  It's like using a cadillac to go four wheeling.  Not practical.
  • Is the horse suitable to my level of riding?
  • Do I always have to hold my horse back or constantly push him forward?  Some things are better for pushing and others for holding back.  It's up to you to decide that.  I wouldn't want a barrel horse that was slow.
  • Is this horse going to require more time than I have?
  • Is the horse good minded?
  • Does the horse have a good work ethic?  If you want a pasture ornament, then it doesn't really matter.
When shopping for a horse, make a list of all the qualities you are looking for.  

DO NOT begin shopping without a list or you may end up buying the wrong horse.   Just like when you go to the grocery store and forget your list you come home with a bunch of things that you didn't need and forgot the most important items.   Don't let this happen to you while horse shopping.

Deanna




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I find horse shopping very frustrating! I am looking for a little project now but everything I go to see is either overpriced or isn't as described. Ech!

Deanna said...

It is very frustrating.

I never understand why people don't try and be more honest about horses when they sell them. I would prefer to get repeat business than to rip someone off for a couple of bucks.